PhatPhibs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

working on new home for my MIlks!!!

+3
Sheri
KingBullfrogGreg
wickerstone
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

working on new home for my MIlks!!! Empty working on new home for my MIlks!!!

Post  wickerstone Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:37 pm

I decided against putting the Milks in the 30 gal vert for now. I think that would be too much for the little ones and so I decided I would put them in a 20 gallon long tank, sectioned in half, so I could put another species in the other half if I want too. Plus I think ten gallons would be better manageable for now. Easy to clean, easy to feed the frogs, etc. I have a little more than a month to go before I get my Milks and I so so very excited as you already know!!!!!!
wickerstone
wickerstone
Baby Pyxie frog
Baby Pyxie frog

Back to top Go down

working on new home for my MIlks!!! Empty Re: working on new home for my MIlks!!!

Post  KingBullfrogGreg Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:39 pm

Did you make this decision because of what Cheryl on TTTF said?
KingBullfrogGreg
KingBullfrogGreg
Admin
Admin

https://phatphibs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

working on new home for my MIlks!!! Empty Re: working on new home for my MIlks!!!

Post  wickerstone Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:54 pm

Guilty as charged. Yeah I read that and decided more room probably wouldn't be better. Plus a smaller container I think I can have more control. When they get bigger, then I can move them to a bigger environment. Yeah.....you read right through me. Damn caught red handed.
wickerstone
wickerstone
Baby Pyxie frog
Baby Pyxie frog

Back to top Go down

Post  wickerstone Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:29 pm

I have about a month to go before I get my 3 babies!!!! Excited....very!!! Here's some pic of the 20 long tank, as well with the bunch of crap that was on top of the counter. You'll see pill bottles, opps....funny how you don't think of these things when you're taking the picture!!!
working on new home for my MIlks!!! Tank1500
working on new home for my MIlks!!! Tank1499
working on new home for my MIlks!!! Tank1498
wickerstone
wickerstone
Baby Pyxie frog
Baby Pyxie frog

Back to top Go down

Post  wickerstone Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:31 pm

There is a crack in the corner of one tank. I will hide it with another piece of styrofoam. Not to worry. I thought, why through a cracked tank away. It still can be used!!!
wickerstone
wickerstone
Baby Pyxie frog
Baby Pyxie frog

Back to top Go down

Post  Sheri Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:10 pm

Only a month. I bet you can't wait! I hope you take pics of the show too. Looks like you have been busy!
Sheri
Sheri
Queen Frogger
Queen Frogger

Back to top Go down

Post  wickerstone Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:35 pm

I will take pics of the show and yes I cannot wait!!! I will be floating on cloud nine when I see Chris and get my MIlks!!!! I'll just be holed up in my hotel room that night staring at my new friends. We probably won't get any sleep that night!!! Razz Razz Razz
wickerstone
wickerstone
Baby Pyxie frog
Baby Pyxie frog

Back to top Go down

Post  Sheri Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:38 pm

OMG, that is hilarious. I am picturing you sitting in a chair in your room holding the deli cup of milkies and hugging them! My precious!

I can laugh all I want though, because when I get my Waxys I will be the same way.
Sheri
Sheri
Queen Frogger
Queen Frogger

Back to top Go down

Post  wickerstone Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:43 pm

I'd love to have Waxys!!! Envy!!!! It's a three hour drive back home after. I'm going to have to get some duct tape and tape the container to the dash board that way I can enjoy them while I drive!!! Imagine the look of the toll person, when I she looks into the car and sees three little frogs on the dashboard. "Hello...police. We seem to have a situation. Three frogs have been taken hostage...."
wickerstone
wickerstone
Baby Pyxie frog
Baby Pyxie frog

Back to top Go down

Post  KingBullfrogGreg Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:45 pm

Wow your patience is astounding. You've been waiting for months and months for those frogs.
KingBullfrogGreg
KingBullfrogGreg
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  wickerstone Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:47 pm

It's not easy. I feel I could snap at any moment. Hunt down Chris and demand those damn frogs before the show!!! LOL!!!
wickerstone
wickerstone
Baby Pyxie frog
Baby Pyxie frog

Back to top Go down

Post  Michelle Houseman Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:15 pm

I have had Mocha& Java in a 30vert. since they were munchkins, I also put them directly on cocofiber. I think she just had some babies that may have had other issue, happens sometimes. Memnoch and I just discussed why my babies seem to be doing well and others have had problems. I have found that humidity for very little babies do great at 55-60% and temps at 75-80f.I'm going to redo my tanks but here's some photos thru time until now. I think papertowel changes are too stressful on these babies. I have found that if I follow the guidelines for WTFs with these guys that they do well.[img]working on new home for my MIlks!!! Mochaandjava007[/img][img]working on new home for my MIlks!!! Mochaandjava003[/img][img]working on new home for my MIlks!!! Hrpuffinstuff011[/img]

Michelle Houseman
African Dwarf frog
African Dwarf frog

Back to top Go down

Post  wickerstone Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:26 pm

Thanks Michelle. I will put coco fiber down and not paper towels. The more info I can get the better the success. Thanks again.
wickerstone
wickerstone
Baby Pyxie frog
Baby Pyxie frog

Back to top Go down

Post  Sheri Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:45 pm

Great advice, Michelle. It does seem that your babies are the only ones besides lestat's that are doing well at the moment. He did lose one in the very beginning if I remember correctly. My personal opinion only is that in many instances too much water and humidity are causing issues. Any thoughts on that?
Sheri
Sheri
Queen Frogger
Queen Frogger

Back to top Go down

Post  Michelle Houseman Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:26 pm

That seems to be a big issue with the Milkies and Redeye babies. Also having to change the papertowels so much really disturbs them and stresses them out.

Michelle Houseman
African Dwarf frog
African Dwarf frog

Back to top Go down

Post  jokersmoker Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:31 pm

Michelle Houseman wrote:That seems to be a big issue with the Milkies and Redeye babies. Also having to change the papertowels so much really disturbs them and stresses them out.

Thanks for this info, I just got a milk so it helps me a lot. Mine is pretty big and fat tho Smile It isnt very shy either, I named it Smurf Smile Really excited to watch it grow more, and find out the gender
jokersmoker
jokersmoker
King Smoke No Joke
King Smoke No Joke

Back to top Go down

Post  wickerstone Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:04 am

so now you got me thinking. Do you think my 30 vert will be less stress on my new milks. i mean they are going to be small. I just thought with a smaller tank I could have better control of the tank and remove any leftover food??? Help.
wickerstone
wickerstone
Baby Pyxie frog
Baby Pyxie frog

Back to top Go down

Post  Michelle Houseman Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:09 am

I would go for the 30 vert. These guys are are crazy climbers and you'll notice lots of acrobatic skills.

Michelle Houseman
African Dwarf frog
African Dwarf frog

Back to top Go down

Post  wickerstone Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:59 am

Ok I'll do that. Thanks Michelle. My water pool is 3 1/2 inches deep though. It looks like i'm gonna have to put some large rocks until they are older. Are they good swimmers or are they like Whites. Not that i'm going to let the water get over their heads just in case, i'm just wondering. Thanks a lot!!!
wickerstone
wickerstone
Baby Pyxie frog
Baby Pyxie frog

Back to top Go down

Post  KingBullfrogGreg Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:46 am

I wouldn't have the water too deep, but in my experience even the supposedly "crappy" swimmers like my gottlebei are good swimmers.
KingBullfrogGreg
KingBullfrogGreg
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Michelle Houseman Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:58 am

Rule of thumb with these guys and water-no deeper then their shoulders and no slick spots . They need to be able to climb out easily. They like to get wet but not swim per say. Mine liked to put their front feet on the edge of water dish and float their back legs. Scared the crap out of me. Lots of greenery to climb!!!

Michelle Houseman
African Dwarf frog
African Dwarf frog

Back to top Go down

Post  wickerstone Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:14 am

I'm just going to have to see how big they will be when i get them, but i have a feeling they will be small, maybe the size of a quarter. I think you're right about the bigger tank that way they don't feel threatened. Thanks michelle for the advice. anything else you can think of let me know. I want to avoid as many pitfalls as possible
wickerstone
wickerstone
Baby Pyxie frog
Baby Pyxie frog

Back to top Go down

Post  lestat Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:45 pm

Mine were about the size of a quarter when I got them. I kept them on paper towels, in a 10 gallon tank, with potted plants. I covered a screen lid with plastic to hold in the humidity. Plants were rotated so the high humidity wouldn't kill them. They also had a water dish, with water about shoulder level. When they got a bit bigger, I did the same set up in a 30 gallon (not vert), with more branches.

They were treated for Chytrid as soon as they arrived. I didn't go out of my way not to handle them. If they needed their cage cleaned, I did it. I took them out for photos too.

I don't know what's killing everyone else's Milks. Michelle and I have completely different set ups, so it's hard to say why we've had success when so many other people have had problems. I think it is best to buy the largest ones you can get. I would avoid buying any smaller than a quarter.
lestat
lestat
Egg
Egg

Back to top Go down

Post  wickerstone Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:50 pm

Thanks Lestat. I've been hearing the same thing about people having trouble with their Milks and I don't understand why. Probably that's why I'm asking as many questions as possible. Your information has helped. Thanks again
wickerstone
wickerstone
Baby Pyxie frog
Baby Pyxie frog

Back to top Go down

Post  JawsofaFrog Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:57 pm

Hmm nice. farao
JawsofaFrog
JawsofaFrog
African Dwarf frog
African Dwarf frog

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next