PhatPhibs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

African Bullfrog (Pyxie) Care sheet Pyxicephalus Adspersus

Go down

African Bullfrog (Pyxie) Care sheet Pyxicephalus Adspersus Empty African Bullfrog (Pyxie) Care sheet Pyxicephalus Adspersus

Post  KingBullfrogGreg Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:47 pm

Overview
Pyxies are incredible eaters that can grow to monstrous proportions. Some are discouraged by their size but for a good amount of people it is the main attraction to them.

Tank Size
Baby pyxies can be kept in a 10 gallon tank, but will quickly grow out of it and need to be moved into a 20 long, or large rubbermaid tub.

Setup
Eco-earth (coco fiber) substrate. Not moss or gravel! With a large water bowl, filled with dechlorinated water.

Humidity
They should be misted frequently.

Heating
Their enclosure should be in mid 80's during the day and can drop to lower 70's at night. This can be achieved either by lights or Under tank heaters placed on the sides.

Lighting
UVB lighting can be used. You can also use lights to heat the tank.

Feeding
The main selling point of pyxies is probably their feeding. Baby pyxies should eat every day as much as they choose to. Adults should be fed less frequently, with mice or rats fed sparingly. They are able to eat an amazing amount of food. Nightcrawlers are a favorite of my pyxie, but I also feed roaches, silkworms, superworms, and crickets. Be sure you dust baby pyxies food about every other feeding, with adults having their food dusted once a week or so.

Size
Male pyxies can get upwards of 9 inches, while females are usually smaller, topping out (usually) at 6 inches. Both sexes (rarely) can get bigger than this though.

Social Structure
These frogs should NOT be kept together. Their vicious personalities could very well lead to cannibalism.

I think that this is everything, and I hope I helped you with your frog research.
KingBullfrogGreg
KingBullfrogGreg
Admin
Admin

https://phatphibs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum